Since 1909, the American Home Economics Association, now the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS) has been the only national professional organization serving all those within the field. As a member of AAFCS, you automatically become a member of the South Carolina affiliate (SCAFCS), a powerful network of local members. South Carolina members meet together for board meetings and an annual state conference.
The benefits of AAFCS membership include:
- membership in AAFCS, the South Carolina affiliate, and a professional section and division;
- networking with other Family and Consumer Sciences professionals;
- a subscription to The Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences;
- professional development opportunities;
- representation in state and national governments;
- recognition through awards, fellowships, and grants;
- opportunities for leadership development;
- professional certification;
- publishing opportunities;
- public policy issues updates;
- AAFCS job bank;
- consumer services and discounts; and
- much more.
Our By-Laws (Ratified
Professionals and students can complete the interactive online or printable form of the AAFCS Membership Applications
FCS Educational Opportunities in South Carolina
South Carolina has
four institutions of higher education which offer Family and Consumer Sciences programs, as well as providing FCS student chapters. The
four South Carolina universities are:
- Bob Jones University has a Family and Consumer Sciences undergraduate program
and Nutrition program located in the School of Arts and Sciences and
offers undergraduate degrees in Apparel, Textiles and Design and
Interior Design from the School of Fine Arts.
offers Early Childhood Education; Food, Nutrition, and Culinary
Sciences; Food Science; Food Technology; Health Science, and Youth
- At South Carolina State University, the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences
offers Family and Consumer Sciences Business in Child Development,
Fashion Merchandising, and multidisciplinary. Family Consumer
Sciences Education and Nutrition and Food Management are also
- Winthrop University has a Department of Human Nutrition in the College of Arts and Sciences. Students can earn both undergraduate and graduate degrees in Human Nutrition.
- Winthrop University also offers a B.S. degree in Family and Consumer Sciences through the College of Education.